14 February 2010

Making the most of weather


Valentine's Day. My preferred way to spend the afternoon/evening was to make the most of a sunny day, unusual snow accumulations for our area, and a unique location.


It's no secret work has been slow, lately. Marketing is the first thing cut from businesses' budgets, and that means a lot less money for photos. So, I've been using my time to supplement my local portfolio. With a generally hectic travel schedule, time for capturing the beauty of our location between ocean and bay is rare. So today, I asked my Sherpa if we could spend the afternoon finding a great location for some sunset beauty shots. Preferable with snow and water.


Wanting to keep things simple while maintaining the ability to get in and out of the car quickly, I brought along my monopod instead of my tripod. I hadn't used it in awhile, but it worked so well, I think it will be coming along on a lot more outdoor shoots.


I wasn't sure about our first stop: a cemetery overlooking a power plant. However, as we drew close, I saw several charming statues which seemed promising for striking images. I also made use of the initially-thought-undesireable background for a few compelling compositions.



After the cemetery, we headed down to Elliott's Island for a lot of snow and water. Having a driver for these expeditions is important, so you can be constantly scouting ahead, either side, as well as behind to see what the varying light and elevations (the occasional mini-bridge over the marsh in my case today) will serve up. One benefit of the hardened snow piles along the road: an extra boost of height for a different angle. 


I try everything when out shooting landscapes: lying down, standing, stooping, shooting into the sun, away from the sun, in the shadows ... and often I am surprised by what I find back in the studio.


A few additional images from my time today are on view at my companion blog, [click]. Also, check out my flickr photostream (at the right) for even more!

No comments:

Post a Comment